There seems to be a lot of confusion about who can be a Local Director in Singapore Company. Sometimes even if you wish to take an expert opinion, it seems that they are not sure about it. Sometimes even MoM also provides contradictory replies in two different queries. Well here I am trying to summarise the eligibility for people having different residential status:
- Singapore Citizens- YES. Can act as local director
- Singapore Permanent Residents(SPR/PR)- YES. Can act as local director
- Employment Pass holders (EP)-
- If holding EP under the same company where they are being appointed as director – YES. Can act as local director
- If holding EP under the some other company- No. as per recent MoM (Ministry of Manpower) opinion it is not allowed. Please email to MoM for prior approval before accepting any directorship
- Personalized Employment Pass holders (PEP)- YES. Can act as local director. Note that PEP holders are not allowed to be shareholders in a Singapore Company
- S Pass holders- NO. Can’t act as a director
- Student Pass holders- NO. Can’t act as a director
- Long Term Pass holders (LTP) –NO. Can’t act as local director
- Work Permit Holders- NO. Can’t act as a director
- Dependant’s Pass holders (DP)
- DP of EP holders No. as per recent MoM opinion it is not allowed. Please email to MoM for prior approval unless Letter of Consent to work for the company is obtained from Ministry of Manpower (MoM).
- DP of EP holders YES. Can act as local director AND can be actively involved/sign documents on behalf of Company if Letter of Consent to work for the company is obtained from MoM.
- DP of SPass Holders – NO. Can’t act as a director
However it is always advisable for work pass holders and their dependants to write to MoM and get an email opinion of MoM before accepting any directorship. Also it is advisable to get the services of a professional Company Secretarial Services Provider to complete the appointment of director with ACRA to ensure that the proper paperwork and formalities are completed prior to lodgement of appointment with ACRA. Alternatively you may fill in the contact from below and I will be able to assist you accordingly: